Often when you get internet service, you will be able to rent or buy a modem router combo. However, you also usually have the option to supply your own equipment, in which case you likely want a modem router combo. Yet there are plenty on the market, and not all are made equally. And you probably don’t keep yourself informed on the latest models whenever they come out as one might with computers and smartphones. You have nothing to worry about, though, as we have looked through the options for you, and picked out the best ones.
Whether you are looking for the absolute best or a solid but affordable option, there is a modem router combo for you. Here are the three best modem router combos for 2022 that you should consider:
1. Best All-Around Option: Motorola MG7700
Are you looking for an excellent modem router combo with excellent range, excellent speeds, and enough features and options to let you get the connection you want? Then we recommend the Motorola MG7700 as your next purchase. It proves a cable modem that can keep up with top speeds, and allows for 24 downstream channels and 8 upstream channels, allowing it to handle the needs of a full and technologically active household. It supports speeds of up to 1000Mbps but is recommended for speeds of up to 650Mbps.
Other features include DDOS protection via a Broadcom modern chipset, 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports for a direct connection, and a firewall and parental control capabilities. Not only is this piece fast, but it is also secure, an increasing priority with cybercrime on the rise.
Yet the Motorola MG770 also has something else going for it. The Power Boost technology in the modem makes it stand out a bit compared to other modem router combos. This feature allows for an extended wireless signal and can key the modem into devices requiring a connection. It can do so at either a 2.4Ghz or 5GHz signal. You don’t need to know the exact technical details (though we encourage you to look into them), but essentially this modem can focus on certain devices to make sure they get the connection they need. This makes it great for those with range concerns.
There may be other all-around options, but we think the Motorola MG7700 is a great choice for the average user, and for most households requiring a great modem router combo. A great choice for the average user, and for most households requiring a great modem router combo.
- It has an exceptional range for a modem router combo, making it great for larger homes that don’t need a mesh network or WiFi range extender.
- It is a tried and tested option with many people reporting excellent results over time.
- Plenty of modern features and options to make the most of the equipment inside and get the most out of your internet service.
- It may be pricey compared to some other routers.
- Maximum effectiveness might vary depending on your home.
- As of this writing, it is only approved as a replacement for Xfinity and Cox. While these are very common ISPs, they are not the majority. Double-check before you use this router, though it may be compatible with other services as well.
- People who might not be 100 percent certain of their internet and wireless connection needs and want a solid modem router combo regardless.
- People who want a solid all-around router that will serve their entire home well.
- For people who want a modem router combo with exceptional range and reliability.
2. Best Performance Option: Netgear Nighthawk C7000
The Netgear Nighthawk series has always been one that’s been one of the best for modem router combos, and the recent C7000 is no different. It features excellent speeds, and a strong range, and has Simultaneous Dual Band features to reduce interference. Do you need to connect to a lot of devices? This is a great modem router combo for that. Four LAN Gigabit Ethernet ports, a USB2.0 port, 256MB of RAM, and 128MB of flash memory, and some of the top standards in the industry today also mean that more direct connections will benefit from this product.
Looking more at the specs of this wonderful piece of equipment, most people will be happy with the ports it has available, as well as the max speed of 960Mbps, which is about what the best plans from ISPs can offer, save for a very few experimental plans in limited regions (which likely require a specialized modem anyway). The exact recommended speeds will vary, but regardless you’ll be able to download whatever you want within seconds, so long as you have a plan to match. This is helped along by its dedicated 1.6GHz processor, something not often seen in internet equipment.
In general, we think that gamers will love its speed and consistency when it comes to its connection. It also is easy to keep track of and use with the Nighthawk App, which will help a great deal should you run into any problems with the product (however unlikely) or service from your ISP.
- Fantastic speeds and the ability to single in on specific devices connected to the network.
- The power to make the most of your connection, no matter what ISP or plan you are using.
- A processor is excellent for gaming that will boost internet connection performance.
- It costs potentially more than twice as much as the average router, making it a high-end item.
- Some people may not like the design and will need to find a proper place for it in their home.
- It still might have some difficulties providing a WiFi experience that is truly Gigabit internet.
- People who want a modem router combo that they can rely on to remain good enough for their household for years to come.
- Gamers and power users who want one of the best routers the market has to offer.
- People who want extra features, ports, and range for a more consistent connection.
3. Best Value Option: Netgear N600
For those who don’t want to pay for the expensive and sometimes unnecessary Nighthawk C7000, we recommend the Netgear N600, a serviceable alternative compatible with just about every major ISP that regularly sells for less than $100, making it an easy option for those who need something now and need something affordable.
That is not to say that the Netgear N600 is a poor modem router combo by any measure. The modem router can provide simultaneous WiFi for five devices, certainly enough for one person or a small home. On top of this, there are four-gigabit ethernet ports for closer and more reliable connections. It is capable of supporting speeds up to 300Mbps and uses channel bonding to keep speeds high during peak hours.
Essentially, the Netgear N600 is a standard model which you can use as a baseline, and if you need to recommend a model to someone with a basic connection who doesn’t use the internet too often, this is the way to go.
- Compared to most other modem router combos is it highly affordable.
- It is easy to use and set up.
- Has a surprising number of ports and options for a device of its size and price point.
- It will not be good enough for people with Gigabit internet.
- It does not have an especially long range as a router.
- It will not hold up to heavy traffic compared to more expensive modem router combos.
- People who want a reliable modem router combo that doesn’t break the bank.
- People who have modest internet service but still want to make the most of it.
- People who want a backup modem router combo in case something happens to their original or they are switching.
Before You Buy
While we think the above options are great, there are a few things you should be aware of before you make your final choice:
- Make sure that the modem router combo is compatible with your service provider.
- Plan to have a spot for it in your home and make sure there is enough room for it. Try to keep the area uncrowded so there is no signal interference.
- There may be variations of models or an updated model after some time. Always go with the newest model if you can afford it, especially if it is just a variation of a tried and true product.
- Remember that while we can make general recommendations, only you know what is best for your household.
A modem-router combo is one of the most important parts of your setup. A poor one can make your otherwise amazing internet service limited, and limit the range of your activities in the home. If you want to save more than a hundred dollars each year and get more control over your connection, try out one of these options and do some more research into what you’ll need. You won’t regret it, and you will not ever want to go back to a rental.
We hope that the information above helps you figure out exactly what you need for your home and provides you with an amazing connection, regardless of your internet provider. Good luck and may you have a strong connection!